Church History

In 1947, God placed in the heart of Reverend Carnel Bruce, then pastor of the Glenwood Assembly of God, and a handful of believers, the vision to start a Pentecostal work in Luverne. On March 11, 1949 the group purchased the former Church of Christ building on North Forest Avenue.
The church was readied for its opening service on April 14 of the same year, and on June 23, 1949, the church was accepted into the Alabama Assemblies by Reverend T. H. Spence, the Assembly of God District Superintendent.

The founding members were:

  • Linda Franklin
  • Thelma Thompson
  • George Nobles
  • Imogene Nobles
  • J. E. Franklin
  • Estelle Rushing
  • Lunie Jordan
  • Lila Jordan
  • Gladys Johnson

In 1960, this church and a parsonage that had been constructed on the site, was sold and a plot purchased at 1102 S. Forest Avenue, where a new building was constructed and occupied in 1961 under Reverend J. D. Gardner. Reverend Spence delivered the dedicatory sermon. A fellowship hall was added to the church in 1973.

First Assembly remained there until our present facility at 788 Glenwood Road was completed and dedicated on September 10, 1997, under then-pastor Reverend Steve Defee. A newspaper clipping can be seen here, as well as an artist’s rendering of the new church.

Leave a Reply